Thursday, March 2, 2023

The Fall of Mankind

 



“So the Lord God said to the serpent, ‘Because you have done this … I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and hers; he will crush your head, and you will strike his heel.’ ”– Genesis 3:14-15

    Something is severely wrong with humanity and the world. Why does it seem I never measure up? Why do I gossip, blame, lie, cheat? Why do I struggle with fear, anger, bitterness, hatred, lust, shame, pride, insecurity? Why do I experience grief and loss? Why do terrorism, murder, human trafficking and racism exist in the world? Why do I constantly think about myself, rather than God and others? Culture boasts that human­ity is basically good. An honest look at myself and the world says otherwise. Let’s face it: The human race has fallen, and left to ourselves, we cannot get up.

  Genesis 3 unveils humanity’s problem – sin. Sin and its consequences invaded the world when Adam and Eve rejected God’s perfect character, love and authority. Evil, suffering and death now pervade life on earth as a result. What can we do? As fallen sinners, we can do nothing. Only God, Creator of the world, has the right and power to redeem what was lost and broken. In this week’s passage, we witness both the devastation of sin and the astonishing display of God’s mercy. While sin’s consequences tragically remain, we are not left without hope. Our eyes eagerly look to the Savior who has come and will come again. 

Sin offends God, destroys all and is inescapable without our Savior Jesus Christ.