Sunday, February 10, 2008

An Amazing Woman-Inez Beck

Inez and I go back a long ways. Like most of my life. When I was about 4 years old and living in Wadsworth, Ohio she became my grandmother's neighbor. They developed a precioius friendship that lasted the lifetime of my grandmother who died at age 95. My first memory was when she and my grandma would babysit for my two sisters and me. We were afraid of her back then since she would not let us get a way with any of our "babysitter tricks". Very strict! I don't think she ever spanked us but only because my grandma was with her! Never having any children of her own and not being fond of them it was probably because of her love for my grandma that she put up with us. As I grew older and became a "real person" (vs. whining/demanding child) her heart softened and she became like a loving aunt and friend. Always learning and doing something interesting or adventuresome she loved to share her life with others. I remember some of the things she pursued. In the 60's she bought a little VW Van, fixed it up herself and dragged my grandparents on exciting trips around the country (which they TOTALLY enjoyed since they never went anywhere). She got into photography and took all sorts of videos and pictures of us as youngsters which we still love to check out. She learned to do woodworking and carving setting up a studio in her basement to make stuff. She won numerous awards for her counted cross-stich creations. She took up oil painting, ceramics, astronomy and telescopes, building birdhouses, making jewelry, doing computer stuff, camping, birdwatching, traveling, reading, caring for her elderly aunt, and making a ton of friends. (note-those are just a few of the things that come to mind, there are many more). She got into things DEEP- totally immersing herself in whatever she was studying until she acheived a level of excellence. These "hobbies" as she called them would take up years and then she would move onto another interest. Her memory continues to blow me away. At 85 she continues to remember the details and history of her travels, the books she has read, and movies seen. Though she has some hearing difficulties and arthritis, she continues to travel, birdwatch (her passion for the last 10 years or so) and maintain numerous friendships. Living so far away I rarely get to see her, but we keep each other up to date through email. In 2007 I got the special opportunity of visiting her when this picture was taken. I treasure the memories I have and still get to make with this AWESOME woman !