Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Thanksgiving...

Thanksgiving is bittersweet this year. After getting back from an awesome trip to Hawaii, I had the responsibility of emptying and giving away the remainder of Freddie's possessions and apartment furnishings. He will never be going back. In this emotional process I learned that people who take gifts ( furniture, TV's, clothes, etc.) often don't appreciate them and even treat them as trash. Just because something is free doesn't negate its value. My feelings were hurt deeply as the special things I gave were scorned and abused. I felt angry. Then I remembered God's gift of His only Son Jesus. Given freely out of His love with the GREAT promise of enjoying eternal life with Him if accepted. What happened? Were the people overwhelmed with gratitude and thankfulness? Did they realize the priceless treasure being offered. NO. Instead Christ was scorned, ridiculed, abused and then killed as if He were worthless trash and not the Divine gift from God.
I believe I needed this object lesson to open by own selfish eyes and examine things that I truly need to be thankful for. The bruises my heart feels from my gifts being mistreated are nothing compared to God's sorrow and righteous anger over His Son being crucified. Today I want to pause and give thanks to the Lord for my salvation through faith in Christ. In addition, I want to acknowledge the blessings He has poured out into my life. The treasures of my family, friends, job, health, home, freedom to live in this great country and worship the Lord without fear.
This emotionally charged experience this month has given me insight and taught me the value of a "gift" and being thankful- two principles I hope continue to transform my heart.